SUPPORT for YEARS 7 & 8
- Actively encourage your child to take part in the HBACC challenges which will help your child to enhance their employability skills and develop learning beyond their subjects.
- Discuss with your child where they see themselves in the future and what options they think will be useful to them at GCSE level.
- Attend our Year 8 Options evening (Year 8 parents only) to discuss options with subject staff.
- Encourage your child to research available jobs and the skills needed at home (see some useful websites in the useful resources section)
- Ask your child to look at the student resources section below.
Here are some useful resources for you:
Not sure what you want to do? Have you thought of auditing your skills using an online audit?
- Take the 'Plotr' quiz but make sure that you register with them first so you don’t lose the results: https://www.startprofile.com/
- Interested in a job but want more information? e.g. what qualifications will I need; what skills do I need to develop? The National Careers Services describes a range of careers for students (and older) to consider; along with useful guidance how to apply for jobs and prepare for interviews. The Job Profiles page is particularly useful: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/default.aspx
- Careers advice and videos on a range of careers choices http://icould.com/
- Education pathways open to you, from GCSEs to Degree choices, and everything in-between: http://www.brightknowledge.org/knowledge-bank/education-pathways (scroll down on the page for options when you go onto the link)