SUPPORT for YEARS 7 & 8
- Actively encourage your child to take part in the HBACC challenges which will help your child to enhance their employability skills enhance their learning beyond their subjects.
- Discuss with your child where they see themselves in the future and what options they think will be useful to them at GCSE level.
- Attend our Year 8 Options evening (Year 8 parents only) to discuss options with subject staff.
- Encourage your child to research available jobs and the skills needed at home (see some useful websites in the useful resources section)
- Ask your child to look at the student resources section below.
Here are some useful resources for you:
Not sure what you want to do? Have you thought of auditing your skills using an online audit?
You can try this careers quiz at home:
- Take the 'Plotr' quiz but make sure that you register with them first so you don’t lose the results:
Skills and Careers:
Want to look at careers generally? Have a browse at some of the following links:
- Interested in a job but want more information? e.g. what qualifications will I need; what skills do I need to develop? The National Careers Services describes a range of careers for students (and older) to consider; along with useful guidance how to apply for jobs and prepare for interviews. The Job Profiles page is particularly useful:
- Careers advice and videos on a range of careers choices
- Education pathways open to you, from GCSEs to Degree choices, and everything in-between:
(scroll down on the page for options when you go onto the above link)
You will receive options booklets and there will be an options evening for you later in the year. But in the meantime could you chat to your current teachers about options in their subjects if you were interested?